My Favorite Artists - Mark Rothko

I want to start sharing a little about some of my favorite artists and why I love their work. The first person is Mark Rothko. He was one of the most well know abstract expressionist painters in American during the middle of the 20th century.

I can't really explain why I love his work so much. Many people look at his work, or most abstract art for that matter and either just get it or they don't. As to why people don't, I assume it is either because they don't want to or because they genuinely don't see anything that moves them (which is ok). Either way I do not see any reason in explaining how someone should experience any for of art or beg people to try and appreciate it; all I can do is suggest that if you ever get the chance to stand in from of one of his works and let it surround you, let yourself into the painting and experience the moment may just find yourself understanding at least a little bit. Seeing these pieces on a computer screen does the no justice. You really do need to see one in person.

I have had the opportunity to see a number of his works in different museams but there was one that I remember seeing in the Dallas Museum of Art... It wasn't the first Rothko painting I got to see in person but it was a very personal and memorable experience. It was the one pictured here in this article. I cannot put into words what I felt but it was very emotional. I got lost for a bit in this world of orange and red. An unbelievable experience and one I will always hold on to.

Read more about Mark Rothko here

Comments